The Chicago Music Scene

The Chicago Music Scene

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rehearsal Rooms: To Rent or Not to Rent?

So, a lot of bands these days are shelling out an extra few hundred bucks a month to rent out private rehearsal rooms to practice in.  My band does it, and I've gotta admit, it takes a toll on the personal finances.  Is it worth it?

(Note: I know that many places offer hourly rehearsal rooms instead of monthly, but fuck those guys.  I have no experience with that, this post is about monthly spaces, specifically Knox Avenue in Chicago, because that's what I know about.)

Well, first, let's look at the alternative to renting a space, which for most people is their drummer's basement, or jury-rigging something else.  I know one band that has an agreement with their local community center for wednesday evenings, but most of us probably aren't that savvy to negotiate that type of arrangement.  Playing in your house is a bitch to family members and especially neighbors.  I remember once, we tried to practice in my bass player's garage, which faced the street, trying to recreate a scene from a movie or something.  The cops were called within half an hour and we were shut down. 

Because of all the BS that is associated with practicing at home, getting your own little home away from home where you can play as loud as you want, neighbors be damned, sounds attractive.  Well, my band rents a room at Knox Avenue, a newer facility with ties to the much more known Superior St. location (same owner and management team.) 

We use the room quite a bit, and some of our practices go into the wee hours of the morning.  But god damn, 400 dollars a month is a steep price to pay.  You're damn right it improved us as a band, but it also made us all go broke within a few short months.  Here's my little review of Knox Avenue rehearsal studios:

Location: Well, it's far away from where I live, but I do live close to the CTA blue line, which drops off about two blocks from the studio.  This is a big plus, especially with gas prices so high.  It's also near a gas station/food market, a few restaurants, and the Kennedy expressway.  It is convenient, I will admit.

Rent: The rent is expensive.  For 400 a month, with an additional $400 security deposit, it can be hard for a working stiff to pay for this.  It all depends on how much you use it.  If you practice two or three times a week, and maybe come by on your own once or twice to practice, then coupled with the obvious perk of being able to store your gear, it can be worth it.  If you're a band that only practices once or twice a week, then this is definitely not for you.  It's also BS that they make you pay extra for the electronic keys that get you into the building, but what are you gonna do?  Our main problem with them is that they don't take cash, which I personally prefer to pay with.  They told me one month that I could pay with cash, and now are claiming that I shorted them $100.  This is still ongoing, so I can't be sure, but it's somewhat alarming and I'm not sure how much longer we'll be there.

Atmosphere and Community:  This is the place's best point.  It's basically a warehouse with a bunch of empty rooms, but that's perfect.  Nothing to distract you except a few vending machines to supply basic needs of soda and junk food (even earplugs and 9-v batteries!)  Most of the bands there are friendly with each other, and the studio provides free bulletins where you can post about upcoming shows, wanted ads, etc.  There are a few too many crappy metal bands, but everybody there is nice enough.

Overall, rehearsal spaces are good investments ONLY IF YOU CAN AFFORD THEM.  I would cautiously recommend Knox Avenue to bands, and I stress cautiously.  Besides this ongoing rent dispute, we've had no problems with gear being stolen, or being locked out, but something doesn't sit right with me.  More details as they come!

4265 Knox Avenue. Chicago, IL, 60641
773-685-5669
info@knoxavenue.com

2 comments:

  1. You gotta have a space. I've yet to be completely happy at one but you gotta pay a lot for that. Our experience with Superior St has always been above board. $400 sucks but being in a band is worth it. You find a way. There's one other option though that will make the band even better at the same time: band-house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing we've been looking into (the band-house.) Times are tough though, and the music industry, especially the local scene, needs to catch up with this idea.
    Actually, I think I've got an idea for the next post...

    ReplyDelete